Our School Uniform
At Altofts Junior School, it is our policy that all children wear a uniform when attending school or when participating in school-organised events outside of normal school hours. Our policy for uniform is based on the belief that school uniform:
- Promotes a sense of pride in our school and develops a sense of community and belonging;
- ensures that children of all races, religions and backgrounds feel welcome;
- identifies children with our school when taking part in out-of-school educational activities and visits;
- allows all children to feel equal to others in terms of appearance;
- does not cause a distraction during the school day;
- has a positive impact on the behaviour of children in school.
The DfE’s non-statutory guidance on school uniforms (2013) supports these beliefs and strongly encourages schools to have a uniform.
By allowing their child to attend Altofts Junior School, parents/carers are expected to support the school uniform policy. It is the responsibility of the parent/carer to ensure that their child has the correct uniform, and that it is clean and in good repair. School advises that all items of uniform, PE kit and any other items (e.g. wellies, coats, bags) should be clearly marked with the child’s name and class.
If a parent/carer would like to modify the school uniform policy for their child, for example on religious grounds, they should make representation to the Head Teacher. School will look sympathetically at such requests.
The school uniform policy is reviewed annually and a reminder leaflet is sent home to parents and carers prior to the summer holidays. Parents and carers of new starters to Altofts will also be provided with a copy of the uniform policy and prior to their child starting.
Clock on the links below for a school uniform list and policy.
*** PLEASE LABEL ALL ITEMS CLEARLY WITH YOUR CHILD'S NAME ***
Lost property is a growing problem for us and although we try to ensure that misplaced clothing is returned to the rightful owners, it is made very difficult when items are not labelled. All lost property is available for inspection by parents at school. Any unclaimed items of uniform will be recycled at the end of each term.